Followers

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Holidays

I hope everyone around the world is having a fabulous Christmas. We usually have a very hot day in Australia but over the last few days we have had a lot of rain and even hail. Most of today has been 13 degrees celsius.

My first picture today is an Australian White Cockatoo. We have many native birds that visit our garden and every now and then we get Cockatoos. They are lovely birds but do tend to like to eat anything made of wood. They have been known to eat timber windows and verandas.

Merry Christmas from Down Under.

I had a lovely day with my family and thought I'd share with you some of my favourite Christmas decorations.
These little houses are made from Woodcraft kits, lots of paint and lots of glitter. We usually place these little houses on the fire place but this year Mum had a new cupboard built so we decided to set it up on it. Its super cute (even if I do say myself) and is extra special as the cupboard has lights. We do however need lots more little trees so I'll be on the lookout for these in the post Christmas sales.

We traditionally have Christmas at my Mums. Mum always bakes pork, chicken and turkey with baked vegetables. Desert is a trifle made of jelly, custard, cake and cream. We  have a steamed plum pudding. This year we even tried to ignite it with brandy. But  despite our efforts it would not ignite.

The Christmas table is always covered with Christmas treats and bon bons or Christmas Crackers. These are always great fun as the jokes inside are always terrible, the hats never fit and the little toys inside seem to fling across the room. (sometimes the toys are perfect for miniatures)




 Putting a Christmas tree up in our lounge room is a long held tradition in my family. This year I didn't have a tree so I put lots of my decorations on my Mums Tree.

When I was very little I would also put out my Christmas pillow case for Santa. I remember driving my Mum crazy on Christmas Day.





From about 4 am in the morning I'd start asking Mum if I could get up to check if Santa had been. Mum would eventually give in and I would run out to the tree and drag my full pillow case to her room. Then I would take my presents out one by one out of the pillow case and be so excited. Great Memories.


My Mum and I have started a collection of these little birds. We aim to buy one each Christmas but of course have got carried away (there are now several on our Christmas tree)



This little bird is my Great Grandmar's. It's the only one that has survived over the years. We had to add some tail feathers to it last year as it was looking rather sad.

I hope your all enjoyed your celebrations and would love to hear from you about your holidays and traditions.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, so many small houses.Looks vesy nice. Wishing you Happy New Year 2013 and all the best. Hugs Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy holidays to you and your family!
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had little glass birds as decorations when I was young ...such a long time ago and none left now so it was a thrill to see yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feliz año nuevo!!!
    Mil besos...Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your glitter houses are beautyful!
    Tanks for sharing this fantasic pictures!
    Happy new year to you and your family!
    Greetings
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year to you and gongratulatoins, you have won in my giveaway 6. prize! Please send your address to my email which address you find in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had our Christmas pudding Boxing Night and after some google research (and having read your experience) we found that you need to light your alcohol in the jug and pour it flaming over the pudding - it worked like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I shall try that next year. It was lots of fun to have a go.

      Delete